A DEDICATED COMMUNITY ADVOCATE
Meet Herb Wesson
As the son of two working-class parents, Herb Wesson learned at an early age the power of a good education, the dignity of hard work and the importance of giving back to the community. Herb took these lessons to heart and has since dedicated his life to advocating for and lifting up financially struggling families, veterans, homeless men and women, and other disadvantaged groups.
Fighting the Trump Agenda & Building a Bright Future for All
In 2005, Wesson joined the LA City Council and has proudly served as its President since 2011. In his capacity as Council President, Wesson works hand in hand with Mayor Eric Garcetti to fight the Trump agenda, protect our environment, reduce traffic congestion, expand affordable housing and ensure that our children stay off the streets, in school and away from gangs and drugs. As President, Herb has:
- Secured millions of dollars to fix potholes and repair local streets and roads;
- Sponsored an annual summer camp for low-income inner-city youth to provide them access to open space, outdoor activities and cultural opportunities;
- Created LA’s Green Building Retrofit and Workforce Program to generate jobs, train workers, and conserve water and energy in government-owned buildings; and,
- Helped pass local measures H and Triple-H that provide hundreds of millions of dollars a year to build new affordable housing.
A Progressive Leader
Prior to his work on the LA City Council, Herb served as Speaker of the California State Assembly from 2002 to 2004. During his time as Speaker, he was widely recognized as an outspoken progressive leader, who challenged the status quo and tackled some of California’s most pressing issues. Most notably, under Wesson’s watch, the California legislature:
- Passed the first bill in the U.S. that reduced greenhouse gas emissions from passenger vehicles to combat the negative effects of climate change;
- Created the first Asian Pacific Islander and Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Transgender Legislative Caucuses in the Assembly;
- Allocated millions of dollars to housing our nation’s veterans; and,
- Passed the largest school construction bond in California history to ensure that our children have access to world-class educational opportunities and top-notch facilities.
A Life Dedicated to Public Service
For the last 30+ years, Herb has fought alongside community leaders and grassroots advocates to improve the lives of all Angelenos, as Chief of Staff to legendary LA County Supervisor Yvonne Brathwaite Burke, the 65th Speaker of the California State Assembly, the 1st African American President of the Los Angeles City Council and as a youth coach, mentor and father.
While real progress has been made in the last decade, Herb knows that there’s still more work to be done. That’s why he’s running for Los Angeles County Supervisor: to empower people and make a difference in the lives of local residents.
With the support of the community and regional leaders such as LA County Supervisor Janice Hahn, Mayor Eric Garcetti and Assemblymember Autumn Burke, he’s ready to take a stand and make Los Angeles a better place to live, work and raise a family.
Herb Wesson lives in Los Angeles and is happily married to Fabian Wesson. They have four sons – Douglas, P.J., Herb III, and Justin Wesson – and four grandchildren.